Reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors or disease. It is generally performed to improve functions, but may also be done to approximate a normal appearance.
The majority of plastic surgeries are performed without the need for an overnight stay at the hospital.
- Scar revision (post-operative, post-traumatic, burns)
- Skin cancer with reconstruction of defects
- Post-traumatic deformities
- Microsurgery of upper & lower extremities
- Congenital malformations (cleft lip – cleft palate)
- Reconstruction of large defects if soft tissue with microsurgery
- Breast reconstruction (post mastectomy) (breast prosthesis & flaps)
- Burns including late reconstruction.